Tuesday, June 19, 2012

self-affirming prophecy

Danny Sargent c.1989
As I get older, I become more and more aware of the limited timeframe that my life will exist within. In response, I sometimes get irritated when my ship becomes captained by others expectations. Skateboarding evens the score. It's something I do completely on my terms, at my own pace, and for personal satisfaction alone. I've grown tired of questioning or challenging the responsibilities I have to the other people in my life. Mostly, because I love them and know that these responsibilities are an integral facet of the human experience. Without them I could not completely experience life. In a similar sense, I appreciate skateboarding for offering a divergent path, an alternate lens that illuminates the possibilities within the world around me, and provides a balance of perspective between obligation and fascination.

No comments:

Post a Comment